10 June 2019
This workshop will cover Git, the open source version control system for storing your programs.
The following skills will be covered:
- Introduce Git & GitHub; explain difference between the two
- Introduce GitHub website; review settings and options on GitHub account
- Create a repo on GitHub website
- Set up a repo on GitHub and invite collaborators
- Fork and clone user or organization repo
- Use branches on GitHub (* time permitting)
- Undo changes - revert commits (* time permitting)
REQUIREMENTS / PREPARATION:
1. GitHub account
Please have a GitHub account https://github.com and save your user id and password in an easily accessible place.
2. Unix terminal
Attendees should have access to a Unix terminal (via Mac or Ubuntu).
Windows users: Install Git Bash
3. Git installed
Ensure that Git is installed by typing:
$ git --version
OPTIONAL (helpful, but not required):
1) Terminal Editor (check that you have one of the following installed):
2) If not Terminal Editor, then one of the Graphical Editors:
3) Some familiarity with Markdown will be helpful, but it is not required