5 September 2019
Accelerate your journey to production ready Kubernetes by learning the practical techniques for reliably operating your software lifecycle using the GitOps pattern. The Weaveworks team will be running a full-day workshop, sharing their expertise as users and contributors of Kubernetes and Prometheus, as well as followers of GitOps (operations by pull request) practices.
Using a combination of instructor led demonstrations and hands-on exercises, the workshop will enable the attendee to go into detail on the following topics:
- Developing and operating your Kubernetes microservices at scale
- What does DevOps and GitOps look like in practice
- Building with Kubernetes in production: caring for your apps, implementing CI/CD best practices, and utilizing the right metrics, monitoring tools, and automated alerts
- Operating Kubernetes in production: Upgrading and managing Kubernetes, managing incident response, and adhering to security best practices for Kubernetes
This workshop is for you if:
You are a cluster operators/ administrators or DevOps engineers. We expect at working knowledge of Kubernetes - this course will not cover Kubernetes basics.
You have deployed a few applications to a test cluster, and now want a path forward of how to use Kubernetes in production - reliably and at scale.
Your current pipeline and workflows are not bulletproof just yet and you are looking for tips and tricks to make operations smoother.
Please bring a laptop with a recent browser and wifi as we will cover hands on sessions in a sandbox environment.
This workshop doesn't cover:
- Deep knowledge of the Prometheus Query Language. We’ll be working through practical examples, but won’t cover the rest of PromQL.
- Kubernetes Introduction and concepts. We won’t be going through an overview of Kubernetes, instead we focus on application in the real world.
- Welcome & introduction
- Getting started with your environment
- What is “Production Ready” (cluster & app checklist)
- Monitoring a production cluster (Prometheus & Observability)
- Building for observability (HPA, Istio Canary, FluentD & Prometheus)
- Declarative infrastructure in practice (GitOps model, Infra as code)
- DevOps and GitOps in practice (CI/CD pipelines, compliance tracking)
- Advanced Deployment Patterns (Canary, Blue/Green, A/B testing)
- Security best practices (RBAC, Kubernetes security groups, network policies)
- Node management and Kubernetes upgrade